It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:41 pm

--How make your own maps-- 
Site Admin

Post --How make your own maps--
The game can now load maps and mission from the SD card.

I've uploaded some of the game's maps if you want to play around with them in Tiled, and make your own maps/missions

You first need to get the Tiled Map Editor from here: http://www.mapeditor.org/

You can download the maps here: http://corrodinggames.com/uploads/ruste ... eMaps3.zip

----

Notes from readme:

Mission 1: Was made without automapping so it took quite a lot longer then the other maps to make. It does show some of the scripting that can be done within the maps, more scripting events will be added later.

Mission 2 and challenge 1: Were made with automapping, which is quite a lot quicker. You can turn the opacity up on the 'set' layer to see how the starting map looks. If you draw on the set layer it will automatically create the map tiles on the 'Ground' layer. Some tiles will not fit together yet, as the mapping rules are not complete. You can add more rules under the 'rules/' folder.

Layers:

'set': completely ignored by the game only used by Tiled for automapping
'Triggers': set map settings, players stats, and create events
'Units': setup starting units, anything else on this layer is ignored
'Items': resource pools must go on this layer to work, trees and other items can appear on this layer. Do not use this layer for map tiles.
'Ground': map tiles go on this layer. But do not edit this layer if you are using automapping, as they will get overridden.

Edit:
fixed, rules.txt missing.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:04 pm

Post Re: How make your own maps
Hi,

Is it possible to make impassable terrain? Such as a hill? If I find the time (and the patience) I may attempt to make a map this weekend... I hope others will too!

C'mon let's make this great game better (or just longer, lol)

Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:02 am
Site Admin

Yeah you can make hills like in mission 5 of the game. They don't look that solid right now but, I might need to tweak the tileset images a bit. Some of the rocks, and stuff are also impassable btw. Let me know if you have any trouble.

And yeah some community maps would be cool :)

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:32 am

Thanks Luke, I will atempt to give it a go if I have time this weekend. Can't promise good results as I have never made a map for anything but you gotta start somewhere right?

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:35 am
Site Admin

Sounds good, let me know if you have any problems. The Tiled software is quite good once you get use to it, it has undos, box select, clone, fill, etc it's like using paint :)

I updated the templates btw, added skirmish and survival examples:

http://corrodinggames.com/uploads/rustedWarfareMaps2.zip

Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:48 am

ive tried to create custom maps, ive downloaded the tile software but cant seem to get the design of the tiles to place them on the map. need help, can someone explain to me how or what i need to do? thank you!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:27 pm
Site Admin

Have you opened the example maps with tiled? can you see the tiles there? If so just go Save As, and change the existing ones.

make sure everything is extracted from the zip into a folder. Some of the Tiled map editor help pages might help a bit.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:31 pm

ok will try tonight!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:18 pm
Site Admin

rules.txt was missing from that zip so automapping wasn't working. Download again if you have the old version.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:39 pm

Luke, great game! Thanks!

On my Asus TFT300 pad, the '/SD' directory is different.

It is called '/sdcard' I noticed that you created a /rustedWarfare/saves directories within /sdcard on my machine. So after hacking around as to where to put the 'rusted_warfare_maps' directory, I found that (on my machine) it goes '/sdcard/rusted_warfare_maps'

Maybe you should just put the custom maps directory under your existing /rustedWarfare directory where you have the 'saves' directory? Would save some confusion as apparently Android calls the '/SD' directory diffrent things on different systems. Or maybe make the custom maps directory something that you can define in the settings?

thanks!

Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:16 am
Site Admin

The game does say /SD/, but before saving I ask android for it's 'ExternalStorageDirectory' and replace /SD/ with that. It is confusing when it's different, I'll look at changing any warnings.

Yeah you are right, the maps should go under the rustedWarfare dir. Basically I had custom map support before I had save support. So the 'rusted_warfare_maps' folder was created first, bit of a design mistake. I might just change it to '/rustedWarfare/maps' like you say, shouldn't be too much of a change for people, and it is a lot nicer.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi, a newbie here. Great game BTW Luke.

I'm trying to create maps as per instructions, however when I try to run the new map it just says "Rusted Warfare has stopped". No error message or anything.

I've started with the absolute most basic of maps but I really can't tell what I'm doing differently to the maps in the zip.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:40 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
I'm trying to create maps as per instructions, however when I try to run the new map it just says "Rusted Warfare has stopped". No error message or anything.

I've started with the absolute most basic of maps but I really can't tell what I'm doing differently to the maps in the zip.

A big thing which I've now put in the wiki:

"Under Tiled's preferences, make sure it is storing the tile layer data as Base64 (gzip compressed)."

If that's not the problem, feel free to send me the map as an email, and I'll see what's wrong.

Also if you click preview when it says there is an error, then find the show stack trace, the first line might have a useful message. You can also use an android problem like CatLog to see the logs for the game.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:21 pm

Thanks Luke I'd already tried that.

I will email it to you.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:43 pm

Post Re: --How make your own maps--
:? CAN U GUYS TELL ME WHY I CANT OPEN THE TILED MAP EDITOR IN WIDOWS 7 professional?

Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:36 am

Beware wrote:
:? CAN U GUYS TELL ME WHY I CANT OPEN THE TILED MAP EDITOR IN WIDOWS 7 professional?

Humpf, luke sleeping, reinstall tiled or turn off anti malvare.

Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:07 am

I've been messing around with the Tiled program and made a couple maps I'd like to play but I'm a bit confused on how to transfer the files over to my phone and where they would go..... Sorry I'm such a newb..... I have an LG G4 if that has anything to do with it.

Also, I'd love to say this game is my absolute favorite android game and I'm looking forward to new updates! :D

Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:36 am

You can transfer files from of over USB , just use your charge wire than copy files like you'll do it with usual usb

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:54 pm

killroy333 wrote:
You can transfer files from of over USB , just use your charge wire than copy files like you'll do it with usual usb

I know how to connect my phone and access the files but there isn't a folder called "SD" in the files. Do I have to have an SDCard? And if so is there any way to change the the location of where my maps can go so the game can access them? Thanks for the input! :)

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:56 pm

Hi there Luke !

I am just making many maps and playing them with friends.
So now, we want to play survival game with 2 players.
Im a bit confused on how to do that.

I also wanted to know where to download lava tiles or any tiles.
I need your reply As soon as possible Thanks

`hir0w4

Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:11 pm